Friday, March 24, 2006

Why Real Lve Preacher is teh roxxor

I disagree. You do pick and choose in the Bible. You do because there is no other choice but to do so. I presume you do not advocate slavery as a valid way of having people work for you. And yet the New Testament encourages slaves not to rebel but to be obedient to their masters. I assume (I hope rightly) that you permit the women of your church to cut their hair. Paul forbade this clearly in First Corinthians.

If you worship on Sunday and carry out a normal Saturday for our culture, you are disregarding one of the Ten Commandments. At what point did you decide that commandment was less important than the others?

I could go on and on with this list. I could, for example, go into Leviticus and bring out a couple of doozies.

So you see, the Bible isn't the kind of book that will allow you to make wild claims like, "I used to pick and choose but now I don't."

It's just not possible to avoid picking and choosing, and I feel if you would examine the way you use scripture you will see that interpretation, prioritizing, and choosing are things we cannot avoid.


rlp in the responses to his essay on Slippery Slope Argument

1 comment:

Topwomen said...

interesting Christianity link; I've bookmarked it for future reading, thanks.